Jump to Navigation
Caring and Professional Family Law Services

Kalamazoo Child Custody Modification Attorneys

Western Michigan Child Support Modification Lawyer

If circumstances have changed since your child custody and child support order was entered by a court, you may be able to seek a support modification. At the law firm of Peter A. D' Angelo, PLC, we help parents modify family law court orders in Portage, Kalamazoo, Battle Creek and other communities throughout Western Michigan. We offer a free initial consultation to discuss your case.

If you need to change or adjust child support or custody, it is important to petition the court to obtain a modification. Otherwise, you could be held in contempt for violating a court issued support order. In Michigan, you can lose your driver's license, lose any professional license you possess as well as face potential incarceration which will depend on the facts as well as the amount of back child support owed.

When Can Child Support Be Modified?

To modify an existing child support order, the court will look for significant change in the financial circumstances of either party since the last order was entered by the court.

Some examples of a change in financial circumstances:

  • An increase in income that would result in an increase of child support
  • A job loss or decrease of income that would result in a decrease of child support
  • A change in the child custody and visitation arrangement that would result in a change in the child support calculation

If your income was reduced, it is important to petition the court to change child support as soon as possible. If you fall behind in your payments, you will still be held accountable for paying child support based on incorrect income figures.

When Can Child Custody Be Modified?

Child custody may only be modified in certain circumstances. This requires demonstrating to the court a chance in circumstances or proper cause affecting the best interests of the child. The analysis is fact specific and requires a thorough evaluation of your case. If you seek to change child custody, our lawyers can help you plan your approach.

Can a custodial parent relocate? If you and the other parent share joint legal custody of your child, a potential relocation of the custodial parent may require court involvement. It will depend on the facts and circumstances of the case.

Free Child Custody Consultation

Call 269-488-0089 or send us an e-mail to schedule a free initial consultation with our Kalamazoo child custody modification lawyers. Evening and weekend appointments are available.

Family Law Questions? Ask Peter Now:

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy | Legal Marketing® by FindLaw, part of Thomson Reuters.