Jump to Navigation
Caring and Professional Family Law Services

Getting help with child support: enforcement and modification of support orders

Child support is often an important issue in divorce, particularly when there is a parent with primary custody who has a diminished earning capacity. For such parents, child support payments can be a critical source of financial support. One the other hand, child support payments can also become quite burdensome, if not impossible, for the noncustodial parent to pay, depending on the changing circumstances.

Many custodial parents, of course, cannot count on the noncustodial parent providing regular payments. When this happens, the noncustodial parent can be held accountable for failing to provide support ordered by the court. Custodial parents facing this situation are able to contact the Child Support Division to report outstanding payments and receive assistance, and an experienced attorney can help with that. 

The frequency with which child support goes unpaid is underlined by the fact that the Child Support Division, which was created in 2003, recently passed the $200 million mark with respect to recovering unpaid child support. Child support collection is, therefore, something the attorney general takes seriously.

Failure to pay child support is surely due, in some cases, to spite toward the custodial parent and unwillingness to cooperate with a court order. In other cases, failure to pay may be due to a number of factors outside the parent’s control. Loss of employment, bankruptcy, medical crisis, and other factors may present an insurmountable obstacle to meeting child support obligations. Noncustodial parents who find themselves in this situation should know they have the ability to modify child support payments.

In our next post, we’ll look at this issue a bit more.

Family Law Questions? Ask Peter Now:

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy | Business Development Solutions by FindLaw, part of Thomson Reuters.

Getting help with child support: enforcement and modification of support orders | Peter A D'Angelo, Attorney at Law, PLC